Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Domestic Diva

I truely believe that it is really important to be a life long learner. That's probably the teacher in me coming out. So now that I am a stay-at-home mom and have more time at home, I would like to learn how to do more things around the house so that I can become a better wife and mother. My plan is to start with a couple things now and build on that as I go. The first domestic task I decided to work on is cooking. I have three goals here.. to make our dinners healthier and tastier while saving us money. I know that the more I practice, the better I will get at it, so I decided to make it a family rule to never go out to dinner on a weekday night (except for special occasions). I have been trying a lot of new things and some dinners are better than others, but I definitely have been improving. Ok, too much talking, here is a picture of my sweet baby from yesterday:
From cooking, it naturally progressed into baking. So I signed up for the Wilton cake decorating class at Michael's. Last night was my second class. Below is a picture of my cake. It is actually my first time to make a cake from scratch and not from the box! It is a heart for Matt because Friday is our 5 year anniversary. I love you sweetie!
The next domestic task I decided to learn is sewing. I have had a sewing machine for years but have had no idea how to use it. So I got it down, set it up, and spent an evening after Jackson went to bed reading the directions and learning step by step. I haven't actually created anything yet. I thought it would be easier if I just customized things, so I'm starting with that. Here is my first project. What a cute little model! And my second project... that ribbon gave me a little trouble. At first I almost sewed the pockets closed... but don't worry they are still functional. I probably will add more, but I had to take a break after the ribbon problems. I have a few more project planned for next week. I will show you when I get them done.

4 comments:

kalliemack said...

Good job steph

Ashley said...

Your cake looks great!!!

Anonymous said...

Are you sure your name isn't Susy? You sure are turning into Susy Homemaker and we are so proud of you.Your cake is beautiful and your sewing is beautiful. I will be looking for an apron for my b-day. hehe And that little boy couldn't be cuter or happier. That shows what good parents he has. Love, Grandma

The Clarks said...

Stephanie, I had no idea you had a baby, let alone that his name was Jackson! Sadly, we have really lost touch with our Denton friends it seems. He is such a cute baby! By the way, I am taking the same Wilton class only at the Lewisville Michaels. Sure wish we were in the same class! Also, you'll have to share some of your healthy homecooked recipes with me. I need help in that area!